Thursday, July 16, 2015

Healthy Applesauce Carrot Muffins (AKA Carrot Cake Muffins)

I have been in the market for some good healthy breakfast options. I added quite a few towards the end of the school year, but all things get boring if you eat them everyday. I've had a hard time finding more, and I've also been really lazy with cooking since summer (I can't be the only one, right?!) Okay, so today I made these muffins, and they were really good. They could have used a bit more flavor, a little something that I am hoping Dani will find for me. But either way, they were good, and even Ashley and Bryce who whined incessently about how much they hated the (before tasting them of course) ended up liking them. Ingredients: 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour) 1 tsp baking soda 1 tsp ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (I didn't have any nutmeg so I used ground cloves) 1/4 tsp ground ginger 1/2 tsp salt 2 Tbspn butter (melted) 1/2 C honey 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 1 C unsweetened applesauce 3/4 C finely shredded carrots (about 2-3 medium carrots) (Preheat the oven to 350) I shredded the carrots so they would be done - and after a long time of finely GRATING the carrots and thinking, holy crap this is going to take me the rest of my life, my brain finally caught up to me and I realized I was supposed to be finely shredding. That is MUCH faster. I used the bigger holes of my grater (thanks for the tip Martha Stewart) and it worked well. You guys are all probably smarter than me on that one, but just in case.... In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Make a small well in the center of the dry ingredients (a medium sized well would do better I think...) and add the butter, honey, egg, vanilla, and applesauce. Stir ingredients together until just combined and there are still some spots of flour remaining Fold in the shredded carrots just until combined (don't overmix the muffins or they will be dense) Distribute the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups (definitely line them or grease them really well) and make for 18-20 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean) They are easier to eat when they are cooled completely, but also delicious hot and crumbly. Mel says they freeze wonderfully and will keep for 2-3 days if they are covered at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. Did you try making this batter the night before, or did you just do it in the morning?

    ReplyDelete